THREE SISTER’S SQUASH
The sisters in this recipe are the native American staples beans, corn and squash, which together offer a delicious main course for vegan diners.
- 2 cloves garlic, minced divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 acorn squash
- 1 cup red onion, diced
- 2 serrano chiles, minced
- 1 (15 oz)can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups corn kernels
- 2 cups broccoli florets, diced
- 1 ½ cups cooked wild or brown rice or quinoa(optional)
- ½ cup fresh parsley, minced
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Put olive oil and minced garlic in a small bowl, set aside.
- Remove stem from squashes, and cut each in half, from top to bottom. Scoop out seeds and discard,
- Brush inside of each squash with the garlic oil, place flesh side up on a microwavable plate, cover with waxed paper and cook on high 7-10 minutes.
- While the squash is cooking, you can prepare the filling ingredients. Heat a pan, add olive oil, and sauté onion and chile for about 2 minutes, over medium-low heat.
- Add garlic, black beans, corn, broccoli and rice. Cook for 3-5 minutes, keeping corn bright yellow and broccoli bright green. Stir in parsley, paprika, salt and pepper and continue to cook for about a minute. Adjust seasonings if needed.
- Scoop corn and bean mixture into center or squashes. Serve right away.
IF YOU ARE NOT A STRICT VEGAN I WOULD ADD SOME SHREDDED PEPPER JACK CHEESE OVER THE TOP!
USING QUINOA AND RINSING THE BEANS VERY WELL, MAKE THIS A GLUTEN FREE DISH AS WELL!