SUPER DUPER EASY AND DELICIOUS!
- 1 can chickpeas**
- 2 1/2 pounds kabocha squash or butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes (I used frozen organic butternut squash that was already cubed)
- 20 baby carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup red lentils
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 t ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt*
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper*
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted unsalted peanuts
- 1/4 cup packed fresh cilantro leaves, chopped (optional)
*You know my advice: Don’t add salt and pepper in cooking. You can always add salt and pepper to taste when eating if needed.
**If you are highly sensitive to gluten you should drain and rinse the chickpeas well.
- Place all ingredients except lime juice, peanuts and cilantro in slow cooker.
- Put on the lid and cook on LOW until the lentils have begun to break down, 5 to 6 1/2 hours.
- Stir in lime juice. Serve sprinkled with peanuts and cilantro if desired.
Per serving: 294 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 48 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 14 g protein; 11 g fiber
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (310% daily value), Vitamin C (50% dv), Folate (30% dv), Potassium (27% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2.5 starch, 1 vegetable, 1.5 lean meat
ADAPTED FROM: http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/squash_chickpea_red_lentil_stew.html
- 2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed well
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 can sliced mushrooms, not drained
- 8 ounces tomatillos, husked, rinsed and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin seeds, or ground cumin
- 2 cups mushroom broth, or vegetable broth
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 1-2 tablespoons minced canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, (I used Chili Pepper paste by Gourmet Gardens)
- 1 1/4 cups grated Monterey Jack, or pepper Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
- Place beans, onions, mushrooms and tomatillos in slow cooker. add spices and broth. Stir in tomato paste and pepper sauce.
- Turn heat to LOW. Put the lid on and cook until the beans are creamy, 5 to 8 hours.
- Garnish each serving with cheese, a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkling of cilantro. Serve with lime wedges.
Per serving: 306 calories; 10 g fat (4 g sat, 2 g mono); 20 mg cholesterol; 40 g carbohydrates; 18 g protein; 13 g fiber
Nutrition Bonus: Fiber (52% daily value), Folate (47% dv), Iron (22% dv), Potassium (21% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 1/2 vegetable, 1 medium-fat protein, 1 fat
Adapted from http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/slow_cooker_black_bean_mushroom_chili.html
- 2 medium carrots, sliced (I used shredded carrots)
- 1 large white onion, sliced thinly and cut into quarters
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 4 cups very thinly sliced green cabbage (I used shredded coleslaw mix)
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into matchbook strips
- 1 cup corn, fresh or frozen (thawed)
- 1 cans Manwich Original Sloppy Joe Sauce*
- 10 whole-wheat hamburger buns
*My mother used to make Sloppy Joe Sauce using 1 cans Campbells Chicken Gumbo soup with 1 T yellow mustard so you could also try that – no longer vegetarian though.
You can also make your own in a small mixing bowl:
1 8-ounce can no-salt-added tomato sauce
1/2 cup water
3 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce or tamari
2 tablespoons tomato paste
3 tablespoons honey mustard
1 tablespoon brown sugar
THERE IS ALSO A SUBSTITUTE RECIPE ON LINE: http://www.food.com/recipe/manwich-original-sloppy-joe-sauce-copycat-457966
- Coat a 6-quart slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Add all ingredients and cook on LOW 6-8 hours.
- Serve the mixture on buns.
PORK CHOPS AND APPLE STUFFING! PERFECT FOR A COOL FALL DAY!
I MADE THIS IN THE CROCK POT AND IT WORKED REALLY WELL
2# PORK LOIN CHOPS
1 SMALL ONION, CHOPPED
3 RIBS CELERY, CHOPPED
2 GRANNY SMITH APPLES, CHOPPED
1 3/4 CUPS CHICKEN BROTH
1 CAN CREAM OF CELERY SOUP
1/4 C DRY WHITE WINE (I DIDN’T HAVE ANY SO I SUBSTITUTED WITH CHICKEN BROTH)
6 C HERB-SEASONED STUFFING CUBES
PLACE THE CHOPPED ONION, CELERY AND APPLES IN THE BOTTOM OF THE CROCK POT. ADD CHOPS ON TOP. POUR IN BROTH AND SOUP AND COOK ON LOW 6-8 HOURS. IN THE LAST 30 MINUTES OF COOKING I TOOK OUT THE CHOPS AND SOME LIQUID AND ADDED THE STUFFING CUBES UNTIL MOISTENED. ADD THE CHOPS BACK INTO THE CROCK AND SAVE THE RESERVED LIQUID FOR SAUCE.
I SERVED WITH SOME FROZEN BROCCOLI FLORETTES.
2-3 lb pork loin roast
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can chili beans
2 diced hot peppers (I used an anaheim and a jalapeno)
28 oz can diced tomatoes
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 small onion. chopped
1 Tbsp cumin
1 Tbsp chili powder
Tortilla chips and sour cream, optional
Add everything to the crock with meat on top but burrowed down into the juice. Cook on LOW 6-8 hours. Shred meat and add back to the crock pot.
I SERVED WITH THE TORTILLA CHIPS AND SOUR CREAM, CORN ON THE COB AND A BIG FRESH SALAD WITH LETTUCE AND PARSLEY FROM THE GARDEN!!
1-2 lb beef roast (I used London Broil)
8 oz bag baby carrots
large potato cut into bite sized chunks
large onion, diced
2 (12 oz) jars homestyle beef gravy
1/2 t thyme
1/2 t pepper
12 oz frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
1 deep dish frozen pie crust
PLACE VEGETABLES ON BOTTOM OF CROCK WITH MEAT ON TOP. ADD THYME AND PEPPER AND ONE JAR OF GRAVY. COOK ON LOW 8 HOURS. TAKE OUT MEAT AND CUT INTO BITE SIZED CHUNKS. ADD FROZEN VEGETABLES THAT HAVE THAWED WHILE COOKING AND 1/2 OF THE SECOND JAR OF GRAVY. RETURN MEAT TO CROCK. COOK ANOTHER HOUR OR TWO. THICKEN WITH A FLOUR OR CORNSTARCH MIXTURE (I LIKE TO USE INSTANT MASHED POTATO FLAKES). POUR INTO DEEP DISH PIE CRUST. HEAT OVEN TO 375 F. BAKE FOR 20-25 MINUTES UNTIL CRUST IS GOLDEN BROWN. LET COOL AND CUT INTO 6 WEDGES.
I SERVED WITH PILLSBURY BISCUITS AND BAKED ALONG WITH THE PIE, EXTRA GRAVY OVER TOP, AND A BIG FRESH SALAD.
YOU COULD ALSO DO THIS AS A SHEPHERD’S PIE (DON’T THICKEN) AND JUST PUT A LAYER OF MASHED POTATOES ON TOP.
2-3# Center Cut Pork Loin Roast or Chops
2t caraway seeds, crushed (I left them whole)
2t sea salt
1 (2.5oz) bag Oscar Meyer real bacon pieces
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 (1#) bag baby carrots
1c chicken broth
1 (10 oz) bag coleslaw
1 (12oz) package whole wheat egg noodles
Rub pork with caraway seeds and salt. Place in slow cooker. Top with bacon pieces and garlic. Add carrots. Pour chicken broth over everything. Cook on LOW 6 hours. Take out the pork and cut into bite-sized pieces. Add the coleslaw to the juices and mix up. Return Pork to the pot. Cook on LOW 2 hours more. Cook noodles according to directions. Serve pork and cabbage over noodles.
EASILY CONVERTS TO GLUTEN FREE WITH GLUTEN FREE NOODLE OR USE QUINOA INSTEAD!
EACH WEEK I SEARCH THE DEALS ON MEATS TO TRY TO SAVE MONEY ON GROCERY BILLS. I GOT SOME THIN SLICED PORK LOIN CHOPS (PERSONALLY I LIKE A THICK LOIN CHOP ON THE GRILL) ON SALE AND THOUGHT THEY WOULD MAKE A GREAT STIR FRY SO I FROZE THEM FOR LATER USE.
THE DAY OF THE STIR FRY I COOKED UP A BOX OF RICE-A-RONI LONG GRAIN AND WILD RICE AS DIRECTED AND SET ASIDE IN A MICROWAVE DISH.
I PLACED THE FROZEN CHOPS IN THE CROCK POT WITH 1/2 CUP OF LITE KRAFT ASIAN TOASTED SESAME SALAD DRESSING AND 1/4 CUP OF SOY SAUCE. I COOKED THEM ON LOW ABOUT 4 HOURS THEN CUT THE CHOPS UP AND RETURNED THEN TO THE CROCK POT. I ADDED A PACKAGE OF FROZEN, SOMEWHAT THAWED BAG OF BABY BROCCOLI FLORETTES AND A BAG OF BABY VEGETABLE STIR MIX (SNOW PEAS, CARROTS AND CORN COBS) PLUS SOME FRESH SNAP PEAS AND COOKED ANOTHER 2 HOURS ON LOW.
IN THE LAST TWENTY MINUTES BEFORE SERVING, I HEATED SOME FROZEN PORK EGG ROLLS AS DIRECTED AND REHEATED THE RICE IN THE MICROWAVE.
I SERVE THE RICE WITH SOME FRESH COLE SLAW OR BROCCOLI SLAW FOR A BIT OF A CRUNCH. THE PORK AND VEGGIES GO ON TOP WITH A SPRINKLE OF PEANUTS OR CASHEWS. THE EGG ROLL GOES ON THE SIDE.
SO EASY – ENJOY!
I COOKED MINE IN THE CROCK POT BUT THESE CAN EASILY BE BAKED IN THE OVEN
1 lb thin sliced pork loin chops (8 chops)
4 oz can sliced mushrooms, drained
8 oz frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained if needed
1/2 c chopped onion
1/4 c Parmesan cheese
1/4 c shredded mozzarella cheese
3/4 c chicken broth
8 oz cream cheese, softened (low fat is great but I only had spicy jalapeno which was fun!)
Mix together mushrooms, spinach, onion and cheeses in a large mixing bowl. Add egg and mix well.
Scoop about 1/4 c of mixture in the middle of each chop. Roll up and fasten with a toothpick. Place in the bottom of the crock pot. Add about 1/4 cup of the chicken broth. Cook on LOW for 4 hours.
In microwave safe bowl combine chicken broth and cream cheese cook on HIGH 1 minute and stir or whisk. Cook on HIGH another minute or until cream cheese melts and creates a creamy sauce.
I SERVED THESE CHOPS WITH LONG GRAIN AND WILD RICE TO WHICH I ADDED ANY LEFT OVER SPINACH AND MUSHROOM STUFFING I HAD, GREEN BEANS AND A BIG SALAD. THE SAUCE WAS DELICIOUS AND SPICY OVER THE CHOPS AND RICE! IT WOULD HAVE BEEN PRETTY AND FUN TO MAKE SOME BAKED APPLE SLICES WITH THIS DISH AS WELL!
BAKED APPLE SLICES
1 apple, cored and sliced
non-stick cooking spray (I used butter flavor)
1 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
Place apple slices in a baking dish. Lightly spray with non-stick cooking spray. Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar. Bake in 350 F oven for about 10 minutes so they are still crispy. I had a few sliced pecans that I added but walnuts and/or raisins woould be great too!