- 2 medium-large sweet potatoes, washed and diced (peel, optional)
- 1-2 hot peppers of your choice, diced
- 2 large onions, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup water
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (10.75 oz) can condensed tomato soup
- 4 teaspoons lime juice
- 1-2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle chile (see Note)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
Place first 10 ingredients in slow cooker and mix well. Cook on LOW 5 hours. Add all spices except for cilantro and cook 1 additional hour. Adding spices toward the end of slow cooking helps retain the spice’s flavor and vigor.
Serve with cilantro and a dollop of plain Greek yogurt (instead of sour cream – less fat and more protein) if desired.
*I might also serve over cooked brown rice, with tortilla chips or my quesadillas (Recipe coming soon!)
- Note: Chipotle peppers are dried, smoked jalapeño peppers. Ground chipotle chile pepper can be found in the spice section of most supermarkets or online at penzeys.com. I used a sprinkle of red pepper flakes instead.
Per serving: 307 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g unsat); 0 mg cholesterol; 51 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 12 g protein; 14 g fiber; 494 mg sodium; 947 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (213% daily value), Vitamin C (48% dv), Iron (32% dv), Folate (29% dv), Potassium (27% dv), Calcium (16% dv).
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat