SUPER DUPER EASY AND DELICIOUS!
- 1 can chickpeas**
- 2 1/2 pounds kabocha squash or butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes (I used frozen organic butternut squash that was already cubed)
- 20 baby carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup red lentils
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 t ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt*
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper*
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted unsalted peanuts
- 1/4 cup packed fresh cilantro leaves, chopped (optional)
*You know my advice: Don’t add salt and pepper in cooking. You can always add salt and pepper to taste when eating if needed.
**If you are highly sensitive to gluten you should drain and rinse the chickpeas well.
- Place all ingredients except lime juice, peanuts and cilantro in slow cooker.
- Put on the lid and cook on LOW until the lentils have begun to break down, 5 to 6 1/2 hours.
- Stir in lime juice. Serve sprinkled with peanuts and cilantro if desired.
Per serving: 294 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 48 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 14 g protein; 11 g fiber
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (310% daily value), Vitamin C (50% dv), Folate (30% dv), Potassium (27% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2.5 starch, 1 vegetable, 1.5 lean meat