SUPER DUPER EASY AND DELICIOUS!
- 1 can chickpeas**
- 2 1/2 pounds kabocha squash or butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes (I used frozen organic butternut squash that was already cubed)
- 20 baby carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup red lentils
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 t ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt*
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper*
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted unsalted peanuts
- 1/4 cup packed fresh cilantro leaves, chopped (optional)
*You know my advice: Don’t add salt and pepper in cooking. You can always add salt and pepper to taste when eating if needed.
**If you are highly sensitive to gluten you should drain and rinse the chickpeas well.
- Place all ingredients except lime juice, peanuts and cilantro in slow cooker.
- Put on the lid and cook on LOW until the lentils have begun to break down, 5 to 6 1/2 hours.
- Stir in lime juice. Serve sprinkled with peanuts and cilantro if desired.
Per serving: 294 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 48 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 14 g protein; 11 g fiber
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (310% daily value), Vitamin C (50% dv), Folate (30% dv), Potassium (27% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2.5 starch, 1 vegetable, 1.5 lean meat
ADAPTED FROM: http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/squash_chickpea_red_lentil_stew.html
- 2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed well
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 can sliced mushrooms, not drained
- 8 ounces tomatillos, husked, rinsed and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin seeds, or ground cumin
- 2 cups mushroom broth, or vegetable broth
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 1-2 tablespoons minced canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, (I used Chili Pepper paste by Gourmet Gardens)
- 1 1/4 cups grated Monterey Jack, or pepper Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
- Place beans, onions, mushrooms and tomatillos in slow cooker. add spices and broth. Stir in tomato paste and pepper sauce.
- Turn heat to LOW. Put the lid on and cook until the beans are creamy, 5 to 8 hours.
- Garnish each serving with cheese, a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkling of cilantro. Serve with lime wedges.
Per serving: 306 calories; 10 g fat (4 g sat, 2 g mono); 20 mg cholesterol; 40 g carbohydrates; 18 g protein; 13 g fiber
Nutrition Bonus: Fiber (52% daily value), Folate (47% dv), Iron (22% dv), Potassium (21% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 1/2 vegetable, 1 medium-fat protein, 1 fat
Adapted from http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/slow_cooker_black_bean_mushroom_chili.html