- 2 medium carrots, sliced (I used shredded carrots)
- 1 large white onion, sliced thinly and cut into quarters
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 4 cups very thinly sliced green cabbage (I used shredded coleslaw mix)
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into matchbook strips
- 1 cup corn, fresh or frozen (thawed)
- 1 cans Manwich Original Sloppy Joe Sauce*
- 10 whole-wheat hamburger buns
*My mother used to make Sloppy Joe Sauce using 1 cans Campbells Chicken Gumbo soup with 1 T yellow mustard so you could also try that – no longer vegetarian though.
You can also make your own in a small mixing bowl:
1 8-ounce can no-salt-added tomato sauce
1/2 cup water
3 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce or tamari
2 tablespoons tomato paste
3 tablespoons honey mustard
1 tablespoon brown sugar
THERE IS ALSO A SUBSTITUTE RECIPE ON LINE: http://www.food.com/recipe/manwich-original-sloppy-joe-sauce-copycat-457966
- Coat a 6-quart slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Add all ingredients and cook on LOW 6-8 hours.
- Serve the mixture on buns.