ANOTHER GREAT MEAL FOR FRIDAYS IN LENT!
Sweet potato burgers
- 2 cups mashed sweet potato (~2 large sweet potatoes – organic when possible)
- 1 (15oz) can black beans, rinsed and well drained
- 1 cup cooked brown rice (or sub cooked quinoa with varied results)
- 1 pkt onion soup mix
- 1/4 cup salted sunflower seed kernels
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1Tbsp garlic
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup all purpose baking mix (Bisquick)
- Cut sweet potatoes into cubes and place in large microwave safe mixing bowl. Add hot water to cover and microwave on HIGH 10-15 minutes. Drain and mash.
- While potatoes are cooking, cook rice or quinoa per instructions
- Add black beans to the mixing bowl and mash half of them for texture. Add 1 cup rice, onion soup, sunflower seeds and spices. Add garlic and eggs. Mix to combine. Add baking mix a little at a time – consistency should be thick and moldable.
- Form into burgers 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick to fit the size of your rolls.
- Preheat George Forman Grill and coat with non-stick cooking spray. Using the George Forman Grill cuts cooking time in half but you can use your outdoor grill, skillet or oven to cook as well.
- Grill 8 minutes.
- Serve on Ciabatta or whole wheat rolls with slices of onion, lettuce and tomato. My husband usually likes a slice of cheese on top as well and loads of ketchup!
- Extra burgers can be frozen for later use.
WE HAD OURS WITH A FRESH SALAD AND SOME HOMEMADE STEAK FRIES!
**THIS RECIPE MADE SEVEN HUGE 5″ ROUND AND 1/2″ THICK BURGERS SO I DID FREEZE SEVERAL FOR LATER USE. I MIGHT HALF THE RECIPE NEXT TIME AND HOPEFULLY MAKE ABOUT 4 SLIGHTLY SMALLER BURGERS.