- 2 medium acorn squash
- 1/2 pound ground beef (I used 96% lean ground beef)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion^
- 1/4 cup chopped green or red bell pepper^
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans*, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup (8 ounces) your favorite spaghetti sauce
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa (rinse if needed)
- 1 cup corn kernels (I used frozen, thawed)
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro
- Shredded Cheddar* cheese, for topping
^I used thawed frozen pepper stir fry mix (Birds Eye) to cut prep time
*Rinse and drain beans well as they may have some gluten cross-contamination and Kraft shredded cheeses are all gluten free.
Cut squash in half; scoop out seeds and membranes then place, cut side up, in slow cooker.
Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl combine the remaining ingredients except the cheese. Stuff the squash and add a small amount of water (1/4 cup) to bottom of crock pot. Cook on LOW 4-5 hours until the squash is tender*. Serve with cheese on top.
*You can also bake in a 350 F oven for 1 1/2 to 2 hours – just place squash in a baking dish with a cup of water on the bottom.
A GREAT GLUTEN FREE MEAL WHICH CAN ALSO BE MADE WITHOUT GROUND BEEF FOR A VEGETARIAN TWIST.
Adapted from the Original Recipe http://southernfood.about.com/od/wintersquashrecipes