- 2 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon(s) Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) pepper
- 4 clove(s) garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon(s) fresh grated ginger
- 2 teaspoon(s) ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) cayenne
- 1 1/2 pound(s) (about 2 large) sweet potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 can(s) (14-ounce) crushed tomatoes (1 3/4 cups)
- 1/2 cup(s) creamy peanut butter
- Cilantro or parsley, for serving
- Chopped roasted peanuts, for serving
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, season with 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and cook, covered, stirring occasionally until tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and ginger and cook, stirring for 1 minute. Stir in the cumin and cayenne and cook 1 minute more. Add the sweet potatoes and mix to combine.
- Add the tomatoes, peanut butter, and 4 cups water or vegetable broth) and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until the sweet potatoes are tender, 18 to 20 minutes. Serve with cilantro or parsley and peanuts, if desired.
I REALLY LIKED THIS RECIPE BECAUSE IT WAS SO EASY AND THEY DIDN’T BLEND THE SOUP. THE SWEET POTATOES WILL MUSH UP IN TIME ANYHOW!
I USED MY CROCK POT – ELIMINATED OIL (TO CUT DOWN ON FAT, THREW EVERYTHING IN EXCEPT THE SPICES AND PEANUT BUTTER (WHICH I ADDED IN THE LAST HOUR OF COOKING) AND COOKED ON LOW 4-6 HOURS (HIGH 2-3 HOURS).
VEGETARIAN AND GLUTEN FREE RECIPE-ALTHOUGH PEANUTS MAY HAVE SOME CROSS-CONTAMINATION SO READ YOUR LABELS OR ELIMINATE THE ROASTED PEANUTS IF YOU ARE THAT SENSITIVE TO GLUTEN.