LOVE THIS RECIPE THAT USES YOUR FALL HARVEST AND WARMS YOU ON A COOL DAY!
- 4 cups cubed butternut squash (I bought it already cubed in the produce department – you can also buy frozen to avoid the hassle of peeling and cubing)
- 1 medium Granny Smith apple, cored and diced
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more as needed
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more as needed
- 1/3 cup heavy cream (I used 1% Milk)
- 1/2 cup roasted and salted sunflower kernels as garnish
Place vegetables and broth in Crock Pot and cook on LOW 4-6 hours (HIGH 2-3 hours). Add salt, pepper and cream and mash with a potato masher until somewhat smooth. Serve with sunflower kernels on top.
VERY EASY VEGETARIAN AND GLUTEN FREE DISH!
Adapted from a very cumbersome recipe at http://www.chow.com