THE ABSOLUTELY BEST WAY TO USE UP YOUR CORNED BEEF AND CABBAGE LEFT OVERS! ESPECIALLY ON THE 3/4 YEAR ANNIVERSARY OF ST. PATTY’S DAY – ONLY 3 MONTHS TILL GREEN BAGELS AND BEER!
- 12 ounces uncooked medium whole grain egg noodles
- 6 to 8 ounces thinly sliced left over corned beef
- 2 cups chopped left over cabbage, carrots, potatoes and onions
- 1 can (approx. 15 ounces) sauerkraut, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon caraway seeds, optional
- 1/2 cup Thousand Island dressing
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 2 slices dark rye or pumpernickel bread
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
Cook noodles in boiling salted water, following package directions. Drain and set aside.
Cut up left over corned beef, cabbage, carrots, potatoes and onions in the original cooking pan into small pieces; add noodles with sauerkraut, cheese, and caraway seeds.
In another bowl, whisk together the dressing, milk, and mustard. Spoon evenly over the noodle mixture. Put torn bread into food processor and pulse to make small crumbs ( I like to leave them as larger torn pieces). Toss with the melted butter then sprinkle over the casserole. Bake in preheated 350° oven for 25 to 35 minutes.
THIS IS SO GOOD BUT IT IS HIGH IN FAT SO MAKE SURE TO USE “MY PLATE” METHOD:
LOAD UP MOST OF THE PLATE WITH A BIG SALAD! OF COURSE, WE ONLY HAVE THIS MEAL ABOUT 4 TIMES A YEAR – MARCH 17TH, JUNE 17TH, SEPTEMBER 17TH AND DECEMBER 17TH!! EACH QUARTER ANNIVERSARY OF ST. PATTY’S DAY!! ENJOY!