CELEBRATE THE HOLIDAYS A LITTLE HEALTHIER AND AVOID THE UP TO 15 POUND WEIGHT GAIN!
- Focus on weight management rather than weight loss.
- Plan time for exercise. Exercise helps relieve holiday stress and prevent weight gain.
- Do not skip meals. Skipping breakfast or lunch before a big holiday dinner actually may cause you to overeat.
- If you know that you will not find any healthy choices, offer to bring something along, such as a salad, vegetable dish, chicken, or fish.
- Pace yourself and become more aware of what you are eating and drinking. Eat until you are satisfied, not stuffed.
- Select small portions. This will allow you to enjoy all the different foods offered, while still controlling your calorie intake.
- If you drink, select lite wines and beers, rather than mixed drinks. Alcohol is high in calories. Use diet mixers if available.
- Stand away from buffet tables and food trays to avoid the urge to nibble constantly. My husband’s problem!
- Talk more, eat less. Make the holiday season about enjoying company, rather than all about the food.
- Fill your plate with a rainbow of colors. Choose different varieties of fruits and vegetables often.
- Learn to say “no” politely. You can say: “No thank you. I have had enough. Everything was delicious.” This works even with someone who will not take “no” for an answer.
- If at first you don’t succeed, try, try again!